The Robertson Wine Valley is a great place for families. Wondering what to do with the little ones? Here are some ideas:
- Fun on the River Boats :
- There are 3 different Boat Trips / Cruises to choose from, each with a totally different offer and running along different sections of the Breede River. Parents and kids on board - hard to say who has the most fun!
- Visit Birds' Paradise, Robertson: Not only do they have a wide variety of exotic birds, but also lamas, goats, tortoises, flamingos, springboks, ducks and much more. There also is a great outdoor play area with swings, sand box,trampoline and jungle gym and a coffee shop inside.
TIP: You can place your order to enjoy outside while keeping a watchful eye on the kids
- Visit Eseltjiesrus Donkey Sanctuary, Mcgregor : A registered charity, this is where old donkeys come to retire and be looked after. Apart from the donkeys there also is chickens, ducks and a sand box. The restaurant offers great meals and offers a great kiddies menu too.
TIP: You can ask someone to assist and let the kids brush a donkey - they are really tame and it's great fun for them
- Visit Outdoor Arena, Bonnievale. Here you can rent a rod and catch some fish. The ponds are beautiful and well stocked, so success is pretty much a given.
- Join Farmer Redbeard on his farm. Various activities including Hands-on-Farming, Tractor Ride in the mountain, Bee Keeping & Honey Making. Great fun for all.
TIP: You can include a traditional South African Potjie Kos at the end of the tractor trip.
- Go on a horse & carriage ride with Robertson Riding School. Join Hansie for outrides through vineyards & along the banks of the Breede River. Horse Riding Lessons available.
- Rafting on the Breede River with Rafting Route 62. The river is gentle enough for first timers and for children aged 10 and older.
TIP: Enjoy the 'nappy run' where you don your life jacket as a 'nappy' and jump in the water and 'float' along with the current.
- Join Renee from Burcon Horse Trails for a fun horse ride on the farm. Renee is our local 'horse whisperer' and so patient with first time riders, she makes the experience such a treat for the kids!
TIP: Ask her to 'whistle' for the horses.
- Platform 62 showcases a legendary steam locomotive, kids will feel that "Thomas the Tank Engine" is alive and well in Ashton.
TIP: Platform 62 also has an Art Gallery, Restaurant, Kids Play Area, Tourism Information and Wine Shop.